This restored and remodeled house was originally built between 1857 and 1862 by Jose Manuel Gallegos, a colorful and controversial priest and politician who had been defrocked by Bishop Lamy in 1852.
During and after The Civil War, part of the building served as a boarding house and as offices for numerous governmental agencies. For a short period, The First Episcopal Chapel in Santa Fe was located in the north wing. In 1866 the Padre deeded the southwest and south wings to Candelaria Montoya, who he later married.
Born in Abiquiu in 1815, Padre Gallegos received his early education in Taos under Padre Martinez. After his ordination in Durango, Mexico in 1840, he combined services in the church with political career. In addition to serving as a representative in the legislative bodies of both the Mexican and territorial governments, he was twice elected delegate from the territory to the U.S. Congress 1865 – 1866 and 1871 – 1873.
At the time of his death in 1875 Padre Gallegos was one of the most universally known men in the territory of New Mexico. He is buried in Rosario Cemetary.